11/23/2007

Royal Left-overs

In the tradition - we ate left-overs this evening for supper. And they tasted so good.

I love turkey and dressing that has set for a day. And the sweet potato casserole was just a tad better. But I realized that what I relly enjoy and savor the most about the Thanksgiving dinner is the jellied cranberry sauce, tangy and smooth as it melts in my mouth.

The novelty and treat of rich royal red-purple jellied cranberry sauce is what puts me back in Granny's dining room at 2308 East Seventh Street or Nanny's at 826 Central Avenue.

We had it later when Mama cooked Thanksgiving dinner. I have it for all of mine. I love to eat it any time - but its power comes from the early years of my childhood when we alternated going to one or the other grandmothers for the big dinner. Is this what is meant by "a comfort food?"

What's your favorite food? Is it connected with childhood or some other memory? Or is it a favorite just because it tastes good?

2 comments:

Granny Sue said...

I should have known we'd have cranberry sauce in common. I love the whole berry kind, but I'll eat either. The family acknowledges that the cranberries are for me!

Granny Sue said...

I should have known we'd have cranberry sauce in common. I love the whole berry kind, but I'll eat either. The family acknowledges that the cranberries are for me!