11/17/2010

New Video: The Album, cousins and genealogy

The Photo Album - a story that literally fell into my lap.
This version was recorded at Speakeasydc last August.





Cousins - three Hall descendants at Philadelphia Presbyterian Church Graveyard - Mint Hill, NC ( Marilyn, Ellouise, Rosemary)
surrounded by generations of their ancestors.

I am thinking about genealogy these days - since meeting my Hall cousins I have my family stories on my mind. Genealogy - that's how I came to performing storytelling - as a subversive activity - to make re-create the dry facts into stories and tell if so that my children and grandchildren would listen.

Its worked - to this point - now even strangers listen - I hope to go off and find their own stories.

But talking about the history with my cousins - reminds me that the work on my stories is not done. Its time to get back to it!

Actually I have been headed back to this passion for a year. March 2010 I presented Flesh on Old Bones, my stories and geneaology workshop at the WVA Mountain State Storytelling Conference and now its been accepted for the March 2011 VASA Gathering in Virginia.

No comments: