9/20/2010

Storytelling, trains and memories of NC





Michael Reno and Joan Harrell -
I heard from a friend in Charlotte that the Rock Hill, SC premiere of Michael's new solo show was a smash this past week-end.



Still thinking about the look and sounds of the Cumberland, MD steam train Jim and I saw on Friday. Reminded me of my father.
Once when he was visiting us in DC we went to the National History Museum. They have a "southern" steam engine on the basement floor - and every 15 minutes they play a recording of the conductor calling "all aboard" and then the sounds of the train starting to move, picking up steam and moving out of the station. Daddy was moved by his memories of similar engines pulling trains through Charlotte when he was a boy. Friday I found myself touched by my memories of trains and of Daddy standing beside that engine at the Smithsonian lost in his pictures of days long ago.



Today Virginia storyteller Anthony Burcher joined me as the guest on Stories in Focus. We had a grand time. He was fun to talk to about his stories, his career, and about storytelling in VA. He left us three excellent tips for storytellers. Best - using his energetic and personable style he shared one of his memorable personal stories.
All in all - a good morning. I will post his program here in a few weeks and you too can enjoy the visit with Anthony.



Loved seeing an unexpected bit of home at Chuck Levin's Music Center in Wheaton, MD

No comments: