9/03/2007

Venice Scawl Pink



Have you ever noticed the art around you? The found art in graffiti or peeling billboards?

I am often drawn to walls, billboards, wooden construction walls, poles, - anything that can be marked or plastered with posters which will deteriorate in the weather. Many surfaces have deep layers - an archeology of events, elections and causes. The colors have faded, bits of words, - an ephemeral history of the place.

Fascinated by their possibilities I often linger in front of a large expanse of deteriorating posters on a wooden construction wall isolating and photographing shifting compositions. For me its visual research, testing the eye.

Or, as in this case, enjoying a vigorous drawing on a concrete wall.

All right it must look rather odd. And sometimes people stop, for a moment, and watch me as if wondering if I have gone round the bend.

No comments: