6/06/2009

Saturday in Baltimore, Surprise, House,



Its is still gray and rainy this morning. Not the best weather for touristing - but we are not really tourists here. We have come home for a brief visit. It is sweet, bittersweet and fun. Glad to be here.

That's how time travel is - isn't it. The weather doesn't matter. Its the experience.

I will go back and catch up on Thursday and Friday tonight at home when I can access my pictures. I know I am bringing stories home with me and I don't want to lose them.
Surprise:
We are home and there was a surprise before we left the reunion that brought me right back up to the present minute.



I went back to the meetings with Jim this morning expecting that he would turn in his CME paperwork and then we would leave - but, once we were there he really wanted to attend the morning session. OK. It sounded fairly interesting and I decided to sit in with him. Turned out I was very glad to be there.

One of the speakers, John Sotos, MD, Hopkins Medical School Class '83 and Hopkins trained, is one of three medical consultants for the television show, HOUSE. I have admitted before that I love that show - because it reminds me of the differential diagnosis discussions at Hopkins when I was in nurses' training and Jim was in medical school. Now here it was - I had recognized the Hopkins touch. Dr. Sotos was very entertaining speaker as he explained the creative process of developing a show - how and when the writers involve the consultants for the medical information and then work it into the story. I was on the edge of my chair and I will be watching HOUSE from now on with even more interest.

With historic and new Hopkins buildings towering over the crowd we closed the reunion
at the annual picnic.

2 comments:

Alan G said...

Speaking of Johns Hopkins, one of my best friend's daughter had a procedure performed by Dr. Ben Carson, a pediatric neurosurgeon, this past Thursday at Johns Hopkins Medicine. As I am sure you know, he is the doctor featured in the movie "Gifted Hands" played by Cuba Gooding.

All went well and my friends daughter is doing well. They returned home this weekend to Alabama where they live.

PS....If you haven't seen that movie by the way, it is on again around 8:00am or so on TNT on Father's Day, if my information is correct.

ELLOUISESTORY said...

What a small world. And very glad your friends' daughter is doing well. They certainly wewnt to the Best. Tnanks for the heads-up on the film. I know of Dr. Ben Carson and his extraordinary work and his powerful personal story. We did see Dr. Carson during the week-end when he received an award and asked a question of Sen. Tom Daschle who spoke on Thursday afternoon. By that time the little girl's surgery would have been done and she was resting comfortably.