6/20/2009

Traveler










One of the bonus finds as I am cleaning my office is a book of ready-to-use "quotes". My first thought was to toss it - but after flipping through the pages - maybe not - just yet.

For instance - this proverb stirred some ideas. I think I will sit with it for awhile.



*********************************************************************************

I was still thinking about journeys later Friday when I met storyteller Susan Gordon for a late lunch at Manoli Canoli, a neighborhood ristorante which features Italian and Greek food. I love that they have expanded by adding tables with checkered cloths on the sidewalk which borders
Connecticutt Avenue. With a breeze blowing you can forgive the noise and pollution of the traffic and enjoy the out-door city cafe.



Susan has just returned from a two week writing seminar in Prague and she had wonderful pictures, writings and experiences to share. Even though it been more than a dozen years since we visited our son and his family when they were living in Prague, listening to Susan brought back vivid memories and I could walk with her as she talked.




Jim arrived later to pick me up and here he is enjoying Susan's picture album as she names the locations. He nodded and smiled and remembered - and we all traveled back to Prague.



Were we all changed by our trips to Prague? Well, that's an individual personal story, isn't it.

But I know that the three of us were changed by this cafe travel - sharing a place and our responses to it - having that experience in common.

One of the frustrations for a traveler in coming home is sharing the stories about the places you have been. Mostly you end up just talking about the wonders you have seen and the things that have stirred you to polite captive listeners. But when you are sharing - ah, that is something all together different. Everyone is reliving the place - separately - yet together.

No comments: