8/14/2014

Musing on the Telephone









OK I admit it. I am one of those people who really enjoys talking on the telephone.

Marketing calls are such an annoyance, especially at meal time. Ofcourse it makes sense to ignore the call but its hard for me to ignore a ringing phone. That ringing is a demand to me - - - it could be something important or special or just fun.

There is no getting away from it. I love the telephone - whether its a wall phone or my cell phone. I love having the ability to connect with someone - especially a special friend.  Or you can connect with someone in unexpected places. Yesterday I called Jim's sister and when she finally answered she sounded a bit different. "Where are you?" "We are on a cruise, Ellouise.  Right now we are on the ship - heading toward Alaska."

Today I appreciate unlimited minutes as one of the great advances from technology.  I remember when you paid top dollar for long distance minutes, especially day time minutes.
There were times when my hand trembled as I opened the monthly phone bill. Jim used to tease me, "We would be rich today if I could get back that phone bill money."

Yesterday my dear friend Betsy - who lives 2 hours away - and I talked for a l o n g time. Using cell phones we don't have to worry about the cost of the call because we each have unlimited minutes. We are going to pay that bill whether we talk or not.

We talked and we laughed, and laughed and laughed.  Our conversation took such a ridiculous turn that laughter rumbled up from deep inside me and echoed through the house.  One of the things I love about talking with her is that we have known each other since Girl Scouts in NC and we can say just anything to each other without turning on our "editors".  Talking with Betsy is often a priceless spirit- healing exchange, especially when we are laughing.

And, with unlimited minutes - - there is no extra charge.

My cousin sent me an email the other day detailing all the changes in the world these days.
I read in the list that people are disconnecting their wall phones. 
It explained the math for why you should
Yeah, it made sense.

True, I hardly use my landline-
but so far I can't do it.

Those digits are part of my history.
That's my number.

If I disconnect I might miss a call - -
Someone else might have my number - -

It has been mine - ours for more than 30 years -

Oh, no  - no, no, no, no no
I have to think about this.



No comments: