10/15/2009

Thursday-A Storytelling Day


Its been a long day - filled with stories.

First I taped a new story for Stories in Time - for Channel 16.

Then reviewed my options and selected the stories for my Seniors in the afternoon. I selected a personal story about the day I started the first grade and then several ghost stories to celebrate Halloween a bit early. Many of my Halloween stories are actually family stories because our family is a little bit haunted. You can heard them here

As I was putting my Chattervox in its case a woman still sitting next to me looked as though she had something to say. "You must read a lot to know so many stories." " Well I do read a lot of stories but I have also been storytelling for nearly 20 years and so I have learned a lot of stories to tell." "oh." She still did not move. I waited. " Listening to you is like it used to be when I listened to the radio - I can see the pictures." I could have hugged her.

Finished off the day with a board meeting for Telling Moments Theater, a new storytelling theater in the Washington, DC area. Storyteller Linda Fang is leading the effort and is doing a fine job of it. Good ideas. We planned the rest of our season.

I think I will close out the day - in bed - with a book - The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown.

2 comments:

Granny Sue said...

That's exactly it--like listening to the radio. That's what stories are like, the days when people gathered at the radio to hear the old shows and delight in the images they created in their minds.
Good stuff.

Travelin'Oma said...

What a wonderful compliment that woman paid you.

I was telling some stories to my grandkids last night and at the start of one, my granddaughter said, "Oh! I love this one!" and jumped onto the couch and snuggled with a blanket. I thought what a great comfort stories are, to all of us. You are doing good things for people!