8/04/2009

Tuesday




I was stopped at a red light this morning when I noticed a Pepperidge Farm delivery truck parked across the street. I did not have time to dig out my camera so I just made a note in my journal of the large slogan lettered on the side of the truck:


NEVER HAVE AN ORDINARY DAY


I call that a message! Don't you?

Snippets of the day.

I heard a woman say," I did not really know I was wrong so much." I have to think about that.

A woman wearing a smart red jersey sun-dress with no pockets had her white ear buds in her ears with the white wires hanging down to her iPod which she carried in a little plastic bag swinging at her side. Clever and great image.

After Mass Jim and I stopped for coffee at Einsteins and sitting outside we read the Washington Post. Jim was reading about serious matters like the Health Care Debate and I was laughing over a Style Section article about an in-town shopping center - bringing surbuban fixtures like Bed Bath and Beyond to this changing inner city neighborhood. The clever writer makes the point with comparisons like the image of young hippie-ily dressed shoppers emerging with their matched towel sets while a pedestrian is mugged several blocks away at the subway exit. I know the area and it all fits.

The article was dotted with examples of the new language - adultification and gentrification.

One of those words I like - staycation. get it?
Sitting next to a courageous friend who has just received some grave heatlh information and knowing there is nothing ordinary about her as she told me, "I have decided to be well." Yes!








No comments: