8/30/2009

On the Road,



On the Road


The other day I wrote that I was trying to figure out how many cds to send to the marketplace at the International Storytelling Festival.

Sean Buvala, storyteller and producer, can always be counted on for good advice and he shared from his experience with cd sales. Kate Dudding, also a storyteller and producer, as usual cut to the chase. She suggested I talk with someone who has been there. So I called Kim Weitkamp, who was a smash hit on the Exchange Place Stage last year. Kim was on the road - headed toward yet another week-end storytelling gig. She called me back from a Coffee Shop when she pulled off the highway for a break. Kim is a great person to talk to - friendly, funny and brimming with good, practical advice. She told me she sent about 50 and that she sold out one and almost sold out the other. " I was disappointed but Bill Lepp told me - that was good for a first timer at Jonesboro." Three voices is a charm. I am packing 50 - 25 each of two cds.
TIP: Talk to people. Think it through and ask questions.

1 comment:

Granny Sue said...

Good point, Ellouise. I was thinking 50 too, but based solely on knowing how many people pass through the resource sales area. I hope you sell them all!