3/24/2007

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolff - Still Sets my Stomach in a Knot

Our grand-daughter was playing the role of Martha, the screaming bitch-wife, in Edward Albee's difficult play, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolff - - So we went over-night to her college to see the play.

I have to admit I dreaded going.
I hate this play.
I hated the movie too.
An evening watching WAOVW is like setting yourself up for a drama-thrashing.
You sit and watch two couples guzzling amazing amounts of booze while they verbally whip each other - and you absorb the blows with them. This play ties my stomach in a knot.
And - leaves me in a depressed mood for days.

Juliana stepped up for the challenege of the role of Martha and played it impressively well. She skillfully put herself aside and brought the character to life. I was proud of and for her.

I suffered through the three hour performance - - proud of Juliana's accomplishment while -- hating every minute of the story - - just as I have when-ever I have seen this play - - - grand-daughter or not.

Later when we were talking about the play, the author and other tidbits of drama history about it - Juliana told us that Edward Albee saw "who's afraid of Virginia Wolff" scrawled on the wall in a public bathroom and it inspired him to write the play.

Makes sense to me.

Thinking a fantasy world might be a good antidote to the weeks of living with Martha "braying" in her head - I gave Juliana a present - Inkheart!

Stepping into Ink World might blot out stuff that came from words scrawled on a toilet wall.

At the least she can throw it at something.

No comments: