3/04/2009

Jim Day 6 Wednesday

11:06 PM
Just could not get to this until now, Partly due to distractions and also just plain being too tired. Anyway.
Jim is progressing well. He is walking stronger, still using a walker - but more independently steady. Not too much pain on moving around. Eating finally, clear liquids today and will start regular foods tomorrow. Can I tell you he is happy about that. Surgeons are happy with their work.
Thinking of the stories that will come out of this - They will feature: fear, human kindness, family , courage, aggravation, mistakes, disappointment, love, generosity, friendship, and laughter. In other words - the human condition. Modern medicine today is astounding in the level of skill and capability and at the same time it is utterly infuriating - I hate feeling helpless under the control of others I am not completely sure of. Bottom line - I want to go home.
Well its good to get that out.
Can it really be day 6.
I have not left this hospital since we drove in with Jim an 5 am last Friday. If that seems over the top - you have not been in a hospital without an advocate. I learned the patient side of that when Jim sat with me in the emergency room at Coney Island Hospital last June.l
I think I will pair Jim's story here at the zenith with mine in the pits in Brooklyn. last Nice counterbalance but similar in many waysl
At least I am thinking of storytelling again.

Robin flew home to California today. It was good to have her here. Special time with all our kids. Laughter and caring. A family. All part of Jim's healing.

Thanks everybody. The album of your words is at his bedside and we feel your presence. Our people.

1 comment:

Cat said...

I'm glad he is doing so well. You need to take care of yourself too. I know it's scary to think about leaving him alone but take yourself a walk, off the floor, even if just a coffee break. You need to keep recharged. It's supposed to be very sunny today. Go outside and soak in some vitamin D for a few minutes. Take care and God bless you two.