3/24/2009

Internet Connected - Finally.


Totem, collage, e. schoettler ( from the 2009 series)
Internet Connected - Finally
How quickly the pain goes away.

For the first time in four weeks I am using my desk-top PC computer and the internet is ON. A Verizon technician just left. All the little green lights on the modem are blinking - GO. Guess where the trouble was? At the pole. This guy is the first one who has checked the basement box and the lines. Of course he can't take all credit - Karen, who could not be here, made me promise I would not let him in the house until he checked the outside lines. Voila!

"What did you do?" I wanted to know. "I climbed up the pole. The line was cracked so I clipped it and put it back together." A real line-man. Now the phones don't crackle and the internet is working.

Four weeks of frustration and three technicians to fix a cracked line!

I was sitting with the technician when he called in to establish passwords and connections. I could hear the automated answering voice taking him through the steps to get to a person. "Don't you hate that?" I asked. "Naw. I have gotten numb to it." Isn't that a great answer. Numbed to it! Right up there with "get over it."

Now this is the clinker. We are really outside the boundaries for this service. We have to set our DSL on a lower speed to prevent it from dropping off again. I have a suspicion they should not have installed for us in the first place. Hmm. We probably have FIOS in our future.

But for the moment - I am savoring this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Over the past three years I have had a couple of problems with my Internet (AT&T) and both times they spent the first day or two telling me the problem was in my home. They even told me after running some sort of line check from their office that the check indicated it was my problem and the incoming signal was fine.

And....both times the problem ended up being a problem on their outside lines!

ELLOUISESTORY said...

Alan, thanks for sharing. We just played that same scenario. So frustrating! It was clear to us it had to be the line - all the blinking lights were green except -none of our computers could or would connect to the internet. I was not kidding about not letting him into the house until he checked the outside line and then went to the basement for the box of inside wires. And that was the third guy to come to our house.