6/29/2007

Lessons for Life

Our sports exposure climbs when we visit our grandsons because sports ARE their lives. This trip it's basketball. Danny (Top) and Scotty (Lower) are attending EXCELL, a basketball skills camp every day.















Today we went to the end of the week session.

This is the 27th year for the Excel basketball skills camp run by deLasalle High School basketball coach, Frank Alloco, Sr.
Coach Alloco addressed the assembled players before he handed out the skills awards.

Once he started talking he really caught my attention and I pulled out my pen and jotted class notes on his remarks into my book.

"Key to playing basketball is about developing good habits. Great teams in basketball are about being un-selfish.
Put yourself second - worry about others.
I want to be the one who makes it better for others.

He then went on to say that the theme for the week had been "habits"
Habits are formed by increaing the repetitions.
Have a plan - do it every day.
These are lessons for basketball and for life.

Don't let this camp be the end.
Ask yourself, what do I have to do to get better?
There is never a convenient time to practice - just do it - everyday.
Be consistent
Form your habits socially:
use eye to eye contact
sit in the front row
talk right: act right

Be respectful and let that respect start at home , with your parents and the rest of your family.
Do the right thing because it is the right thing to do."

I wondered it the kids were really listening to the wisdom so I quizzed them over ice-cream on the way home. They answered with total recall!

Wow!

OK! OK! I get it. Its not just sports.

No comments: