5/25/2008

It's Our Irish Coming Out













Had not thought of Cheerwine in years until I saw the truck. Its a NC soft drink. A fizzy cherry flavored drink in a red and white can with a red pull tab. Can't buy it where I live. So I bought a bunch of cases. I know I will enjoy sipping the memory.

Memorial Day week-end is Race Week-end in the Concord- Charlotte area. Hotels are booked solid. I was nervous about waiting any longer to come down again to see Mama so my cousin Jimmy and his wife Pam took us in. Its always a pleasure to be with them and even though our major focus had to be spending time with my mother we did have a chance for some short visits.

We were sitting in their living room talking over the day and my cousin said, "Ellouise you make a story out of anything that happens."

"Yes, I guess I do. If you live it it should be worth telling about it."

Pam jumped in. "Jimmy, that's what you do. Ellouise, he takes forever to answer a question because it comes out a story."

It hit me. Clear as a bell. "That's what "they" did - our parents, his mother and my dad and thier siblings, the aunts and uncles we grew up with. We come by it honestly. And I know why.

Recently someone, maybe it was Kate last week end, told me that they had loved their trip to Ireland except - whenever that they asked a question they had to wait through the story to get to the answer, even if it was just asking for directions.

"Jimmy - I've got it. We can't help it. It's our Irish coming out!"

Frustrating or not, I am delighted for the evidence the connection to those roots is alive and well.

No comments: