5/02/2008

Life is a Revolving Door

Life is a revolving door.

Welcome Clarice Ellen McGill, born this morning in Indiana. Mama was delighted when my sister called to tell her she had added another great-grandchild to the roster.

What, I ask you, is that fine Georgia Peach doing coming into the world so far from the South. The stork must have been blown off course.

When I stopped by the Salvation Army Store this morning I found a book of children's verses. Its a discarded library book from teh A.T. Allen School - somewhere. The typed book card is still in the yellow pocket glued to the inside back cover. The childen's names and grades as they signed to check it out are listed on the card. Tammy, 6th grade, was the last child to sign out the book, June 1, 1978,

The rhymes are old and familiar. They set off memories.

Sitting on the front porch in the warm sun I read a few rhymes to Mama.

" Oh, hear this - it is one my mama taught me." I said.


"Baa Baa Black Sheep
Have you any wool?"

"Yes sir, yes sir,
Three bags full." Mama answered,

Being together across time.

A Child's Grace
Thank you for the world so sweet.
Thank you for the food we eat.
Thank you for the birds that sing.
Thank you God for everything
Author Unknown.

No comments: