5/31/2008

Joke to Art - the Real Story




Necessity is a great mother for invention.


I needed a new small sculpture to deliver to Gallery 10 tomorrow.


Yesterday I walked into my studio and began looking around. I had been thinking that I wanted to experiment with an "assemblage" - you know - a little of this, a little of that - like the ham salad the other night.

I gathered some layers: a wide frame for a base, a small unfinished canvas, and a smaller scrap from a frame. I kept looking around, poking my nose in here and there and then - - I saw it at the back of a shelf. I saw the hand made wooden bull-shit grinder my father gave me in the 1970s as a joke-gift - teasing me for working as a lobbyist for equal rights for women artists.

The grinder was perfect. It is a compact square - it just fit in the empty hole of the smallest frame and the grinding lever added a new dimension - it made the piece interactive. People could move the lever and actually grind. I could see these pieces fitting together. It would work.

Voila - all that was left to do was some hot glue gun action and I was home free.

Laughing, sometimes giggling, I glued the construction together.

Perhaps someday I will write an artist statement, you know bloated art talk, saying the piece was a social statement. I could say that it was inspired by these recent months and months of Presidential Primaries and all their campaign rhetoric -
and influenced by the art work of Robert Rauschenberg.

That's how art stories evolve - how myths are formed.

Today we know - the real story - about this art work.


I am sure Daddy would like the piece - the re-invention of his bull-shit grinder from a joke to art.

Its a Robert Diggle kind of joke.


Today, however, I get the last word -
my title for the art work:
Homage to My Father: A Great American Bull Shit Artist

from his loving daughter.












4 comments:

Granny Sue said...

That's perfect, Ellouise! I love it.

Joe said...

Xscape Collection prom dresses Zum Zum prom dresses A-Line prom dresses Ball Gown prom dresses Column prom dresses Empire prom dresses Mermaid prom dresses Princess prom dresses Sheath prom dresses Trumpet prom dresses Bateau prom dresses Halter prom dresses Jewel prom dresses Off the Shoulder prom dresses One Shoulder prom dresses Portrait prom dresses Queen Anne prom dresses Sabrina prom dresses Scoop prom dresses Spaghetti Straps prom dresses Square prom dresses Strapless prom dresses Straps prom dresses Sweetheart prom dresses V-Neck prom dresses Other Necklines prom dresses Short prom dresses

Joe said...

bridal gowns beach wedding dresses couture wedding dresses destination wedding dresses informal wedding dresses bridesmaid dresses mother of bride dresses cocktail wedding dresses evening gowns quinceanera dresses wedding dress wedding dresses wholesale wedding dresses cheap wedding dresses bridal online shop

Joe said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses