5/06/2008

Telling Stories

Telling stories this morning at a Silver Spring Elementary School.

I know this school! I have told Audubon programs here for several years and I told A 398.2 Sampler for their reading night a few months ago. The kids are bright and eager and excellent listeners. They love stories.











This is a primary school. grades K - 2. Today I told three sets and covered all the grades.

When I put on my "coat of many colors" they recognize me. Hands go up. "I know you." And I feel welcomed and at home with them.




















They listen. I look into their eyes and watch their faces and we make the stories together. It is truly the magic of storytelling. What's not to love - I am grateful to be a part of it.

At the end of the sets I tell the children, "Now these are your stories. You can TELL them to your family and friends."

I hope they do.

Returning to a school keeps me on my toes because I know they remember the stories. The kids are quick to remind me "you told that before" if I repeat a story - - even when I can see they like hearing it again.

No comments: