5/25/2008

It's Our Irish Coming Out













Had not thought of Cheerwine in years until I saw the truck. Its a NC soft drink. A fizzy cherry flavored drink in a red and white can with a red pull tab. Can't buy it where I live. So I bought a bunch of cases. I know I will enjoy sipping the memory.

Memorial Day week-end is Race Week-end in the Concord- Charlotte area. Hotels are booked solid. I was nervous about waiting any longer to come down again to see Mama so my cousin Jimmy and his wife Pam took us in. Its always a pleasure to be with them and even though our major focus had to be spending time with my mother we did have a chance for some short visits.

We were sitting in their living room talking over the day and my cousin said, "Ellouise you make a story out of anything that happens."

"Yes, I guess I do. If you live it it should be worth telling about it."

Pam jumped in. "Jimmy, that's what you do. Ellouise, he takes forever to answer a question because it comes out a story."

It hit me. Clear as a bell. "That's what "they" did - our parents, his mother and my dad and thier siblings, the aunts and uncles we grew up with. We come by it honestly. And I know why.

Recently someone, maybe it was Kate last week end, told me that they had loved their trip to Ireland except - whenever that they asked a question they had to wait through the story to get to the answer, even if it was just asking for directions.

"Jimmy - I've got it. We can't help it. It's our Irish coming out!"

Frustrating or not, I am delighted for the evidence the connection to those roots is alive and well.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Xscape Collection prom dresses Zum Zum prom dresses A-Line prom dresses Ball Gown prom dresses Column prom dresses Empire prom dresses Mermaid prom dresses Princess prom dresses Sheath prom dresses Trumpet prom dresses Bateau prom dresses Halter prom dresses Jewel prom dresses Off the Shoulder prom dresses One Shoulder prom dresses Portrait prom dresses Queen Anne prom dresses Sabrina prom dresses Scoop prom dresses Spaghetti Straps prom dresses Square prom dresses Strapless prom dresses Straps prom dresses Sweetheart prom dresses V-Neck prom dresses Other Necklines prom dresses Short prom dresses

Joe said...

bridal gowns beach wedding dresses couture wedding dresses destination wedding dresses informal wedding dresses bridesmaid dresses mother of bride dresses cocktail wedding dresses evening gowns quinceanera dresses wedding dress wedding dresses wholesale wedding dresses cheap wedding dresses bridal online shop

Joe said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses