5/12/2008

INKHEART at Starbucks

I watched as the woman sitting across from me took out her
pen and underlined several sentences in the hardback book she was reading. Now any of you that have been reading this blog for awhile know that I have a story about the woman who soundly chastised me when I underlined in a paperback book in the beauty shop in CA.

After a long few minutes I leaned forward and said, "Excuse
me. May I tell you something." She smiled. "I have to tell you how delighted I was to see you underline something in your book." She looked surprised ." Oh, I always do - that's why I buy my books." Kindred souls.

While we were chatting about writing in our books a mother and son sat down in the two chairs next to us completing the conversational grouping. I was just telling my companion that I had recently re-read Inkheart and was glad I had unerlined passages. Then we greeted the newcomers.



A few minutes later the boy leaned toward me. "Did you say you are reading Inkheart?" A proper opening gambit wouldn't you say. " Yes, I am. Are you reading it." His face lit up. "Yes."
and he and I were off into our own conversation about Mo and Meggie and Basta and Fenoglio and where he was in the book, how he liked the writing, and did he know about InkSpell.

A very poised and articulate young boy. His mother sat by quietly enjoying the exchange between her son and me. "How old are you," I asked. "Nine." I have to tell you I was surprised.

I put out my hand. " My name is Ellouise. what's yours?" "Jacob." " Jacob, I am delighted to meet you."

We talked on for some time about books, when the Inkheart movie will be released, Harry Potter, ofcourse, and how The Golden Compass movie was disappointing when you had read the book. He told me about Eragon and I told him about Dragon Rider.

I am familiar with his school but he was not there when I came to tell stories last year. "Well, if I come again again and you are there be sure and let me know it. Come up and say hello. I will remember you."

Jacob finished his hot chocolate. Time to go. He and his mother left for their appointment. The other woman and I gathered up our books and briefcases and said good-bye as we walked toward Wisconsin Avenue.

With out a doubt the most enjoyable and surprising book talk I have had in a long time.

No comments: