5/13/2008

A Storytelling Day


Happily tired tonight.
This has been a storytelling day.
Two sets at a retirement facility this aftenoon and then Jim and I hustled downtown where I was given an Open Mic spot at the Speakeasydc.

To celebrate Mother's Day I told stories for the retirememnt groups that somehow connected with mothers or had a central mother character. I tried out a new story with one group, and made up a new story on the spot for the second group. I think both are keepers and with some more telling and a bit of work will be really good additions to my chest of stories.

I was telling the folktale The Thrifty Tailor as a lead-in for a story about the special dresses my mother made for us when we were growing up. As I told it I kept thinking about my Uncle Dunc. I need a story about him for a program later this month. So, I told the audience I was going to try something new and out it came. It was real front porch telling. Once I started the memories rolled out and the story took a few unexpected turns. Once I have it worked out I will share it with you.

For Speakeasy I revised a personal story with some tweaks that gave it a new life. And cut a fifteen minute story to 7 minutes in the bargain. That was a challenge and I am happy with the way it worked out. Now I have two viable options for the same story.

Storyteller and coach Doug Lipman has been talking lately on his website and in his workshop offerings about the value of paring long stories to short and shorter versions. So, I had been thinking about it. That ruminating made it easier when push came to shove and I had to do it with the one story I have that fit the theme for tonight.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Elastic Satin & Chiffon bridesmaid dresses Satin & Chiffon bridesmaid dresses Satin & Lace bridesmaid dresses Satin & Organza bridesmaid dresses Satin & Taffeta bridesmaid dresses Satin & Tulle bridesmaid dresses Taffeta & Chiffon bridesmaid dresses Taffeta & Lace bridesmaid dresses Taffeta & Organza bridesmaid dresses Sleeveless bridesmaid dresses Cap Sleeves bridesmaid dresses Short Sleeves bridesmaid dresses Elbow Sleeves bridesmaid dresses Three Quarter Sleeves bridesmaid dresses Long Sleeves bridesmaid dresses Beading bridesmaid dresses Sequin bridesmaid dresses Sash bridesmaid dresses Flower bridesmaid dresses Beading & Sequin bridesmaid dresses Beading & Flower bridesmaid dresses

Joe said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses

Joe said...

bridal gowns beach wedding dresses couture wedding dresses destination wedding dresses informal wedding dresses bridesmaid dresses mother of bride dresses cocktail wedding dresses evening gowns quinceanera dresses wedding dress wedding dresses wholesale wedding dresses cheap wedding dresses bridal online shop