4/24/2009

Orchids, Movie Review, Jim, Faith















Orchids, e.schoettler, altered digital photograph


MOVIE REVIEW: When my sister Kathy recommended The Boy in the Striped Pajamas I ordered it from Netflix without even checking it out. Kathy and I usually agree on books and movies so her word was good with me. Jim and I watched it the other night and I will never forget it. Seeing the Holocaust through the eyes of an eight year old German boy is quite a new perspective on that evil. And the ending left us stunned. The storytelling in this movie does what good storytelling should - it establishes a normal, turns it upside down, and shows you something important as a result.


I have wanted to write about the film but hestitated so when I ran across THIS review I decided to share it instead of tackling my own.







JIM

Two months ago today Jim was in George Washington Univerity Hospital - having his surgery. Time has moved slowly to get to lunch at Einsteins this week.

Thanks to everyone who sent prayers and good wishes and helped us through it. Thanks be to God.

FAITH
I have been following Traveling Oma for some time because I admire her writijng and enjoy the things she writes about.
Her last two posts chronicle how her son, riding his bicylce to work, was broadsided by a hit and run driver and left sprawled on the road. Today when she shared her family's response - in love and prayer - I was deeply touched - its a real lesson in the power of faith.

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

This movie left me feeling like I'd been punched in the stomach. I've been researching a family with children who lived in Austria during WWII and it's made me wonder about the effect this all had on the citizens in those areas. It's such a troubling time to contemplate.

Thank you for your mention of my blog in your post. I appreciate your kind words.