4/02/2009

Storytelling Tip, Day 6,


Burton Valley Back Packs, altered digital photo, e. schoettler
1. STORYTELLING TIP
Use your photos to prompt memories and find stories.
I took this photo the day I went to Burton Valley Elem. School in Lafayette, CA to tell stories to a fifth grade class. Colorful backpacks hanging on the wall outside the classroom spoke of all the different personalities of the students as well as of how times have changed.
There was nothing like these bags when I started the first grade at the the Elizabeth School in Charlotte, NC. All the kids carried rather dull plaid fabric book bags with brown leather straps. During the school day my book bag was tucked neatly onto the metal shelf under my seat.
2. Day Six
First: follow up from yesterday. Jim was impressed when I parked at the far corner of the Hardware City Parking lot. "You are going to walk?" " I am." and I did.
Today the exercise plan is pretty clear. Verizon is scheduled to arrive this morning. Jim and I will have to move furniture and all the stuff that could be blocking their access. Get it - stooping and walking.
PS: It is now twelve hours later and I am sitting in my living room - zip zip zipping - surfing on our new FIOS lines. It is faster - not doubt. But bottom line all I really care about is that it stay ON.
The phone lines sound clearer.
And we now have access to more TV stations than I can possibly count or remember - and all my usual stations have NEW numbers.

3. Good-Bye Guiding Light - CNN announced today that they are cancelling the soap opera - or should I say - Day Time Drama - Guiding Light.
The program started as a 15 minute radio program in 1935 and went on TV in 1952. Its the saga of the Bauer Family and others. Yes, I do. Still. I don't watch everyday but I keep up with what's happening. I have to. The program connects me to many difference people and times that have nothing to do with the characters in that soap world - people in my world.
Often I would touch base with Mama and she would bring me up-to-date on what was happening in Springfield.
My favorite storyline of the 90s was the Fairytale when a poor girl (Cassie) married the rich and handsome Prince Richard and they tried to live happily ever after. Who could resist?

1 comment:

cynthia said...

I Definitely had a plaid bad with brown leather straps! and a metal desk with a shelf underneath.
Great memory.