4/04/2009

Day 8






Day 8. Surprise opportunities for exercise. Yesterday Jim spiked a high fever and several other symptoms so that his internist told me to take him to the GW Emergency Room.



Not surprisingly he was admitted after six hours of poking and punching and testing. So here we are.

Now -

lots of running up and down the stairs at home to get ready for the trip to GW.

Walking the corridors of the emergency room to

find a bathroom, locate Diet Cokes, and just stretching my legs.

Once on the fourth floor, because Jim is in a two bed room, I found that I have to walk one long city block straight ahead and then around the corner to get to the ladies room.

That should more that take care of my exercise allotment.


Can you tell I am trying to put my best face on this? I HATE being back here - and it looks like we will be here until Tuesday.


You know the story, "That's good" ? In short - for everything that happens in the story the Chamberlain says "that's good" and looks for a positive outcome. I had better start doing that

So I will stretch my legs around the hospital halls looking for stories.


2. Alan

Our room-mate was asleep when we came into this room at 2 am this morning. But since he waked up this morning he has been quite a presence. We first heard from Alan as he carried on extensive colorful conversations with himself on the other side of the curtain that divides the room. The only conversations like his I have heard have been when I walked by someone who has decided to live on their own on the street.

Once he got up and began moving around we were bathed in " moon shine". Alan had not tied his gown in the back and every time he turned or leaned over he "mooned" the world with his ample

pasty

very Reubenesque ass. I was reminded of one of the elder male models who would pose in the nude for painting classes at American University.

As the day wore on we came to appreciate Alan as a very well-educated guy who still takes classes at GW, is very curious about the world and has interesting opinions on everything. He's friendly and out going - kidding with everyone and calling all women "beautiful young ladies."

And he does talk - endlessly.

Late in the day we moved on to a private room where it is quiet and there is no unexpected moon-light.

I doubt we will ever forget Alan.

2 comments:

Debbie Couture said...

Ellouise, I am so sorry to hear that Jim is in the hospital. I'll will pray for him. Glad you found a recliner and good for you for staying. We are leaving tomorrow for Myrtle Beach and will be enjoying your CD. Hope you find some stories. Take care, Debbie

Granny Sue said...

Oh dear. I' sorry to read that you're back at GW. As always, you are making the best of the situation and for that I am sure Jim is grateful.Your description of Alan is priceless. May you have moonless nights until you get home!