12/22/2009

Tuesday - Williamsburg Wreath, Chemo, and Hitting the Deck















Williamsburg Wreath - three days until Christmas

Last week was a week-off for Jim's Chemo but today we are back in the Chemo lab. With the snow, I had worried about the trip downtown because our side street still looked impassable but just as we were ready to pull out of the driveway a snow plow turned into the street with its scrapper down. "This is great." says I. Jim says, " I am not surprised. Yesterday Chris told the guy that I had to leave the house early for my chemo and asked him to pass the word along so that someone would come here first." It took two snow-low angels for this - Chris who set the stage and the smiling guy who came by this
morning.

We spent three hours in the chemo lab. I sat hext to Jim and set up my computer. There were not many patients in today and those that were came and went fairly quickly. While Jim's IVs were running I focused on my work and accomplished quite a bit - redoing a resume and selecting iPOD playlists of stories for gigs in January. Some of the time Jim and I sat side by side sleeping.
A good use of the time, if you ask me.

Tonight Speakeasy was holding an event to celebrate their Podcast Project - Interviews of the City, which was funded by a DC Commission Grant. I am honored to be a part of it. Andrew Hiller interviewed me about my involvement in the women's movement in the 1970s.
Tonight they were having a LISTEN-IN for four of the podcasts and a Q and A afterwards.

Columbia Road was lined with snow-covered cars. The street was bordered by mountains of dirtying snow. Very few parking places had been cleared so I could not believe my good luck to find a parking place directly across from Chief Ike's, a bar where the event was being held. I crossed the glistening street and had stepped over a rough patch of snow onto the sidewalk. Now, within twenty feet of the doorway for Chief Ike's I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking I was home safe. Just then I slipped and my feet flew out from under me. I slammed down flat on my bottom in a pool of icy water from the melting snow. Startled I caught myself with my right hand so that I did not lay flat on my back. A friendly giant stopped, "are you all right, lady? For a minute I was not sure. But I was moving. I tried to get up. He leaned over, took my hand and pulled me to my feet. Icy water dripped down the back of my trouser legs. "Thank you. I think I can make it from here." And I limped into Chef Ike's - cold and wet, with my dignity shattered.

Well, ofcourse I could not stay. My first thought was to get back to my car and head home. I asked for someone to walk me to the car and they did. And, here I am at home now. Dry and warm. And feeling a bit sheepish and embarrassed.

It was my own fault. I was wearing loafers. My boots were at home. Duh!
Moral: If there is snow and ice - dress safely.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Josh and Jazz prom dresses Jovani prom dressesLa Femme prom dressesLanda prom dressesLara Design prom dressesMac Duggal prom dressesMacis Design prom dressesMauri Simone prom dressesMe Prom prom dressesMon Cheri prom dressesMori Lee prom dressesNight Moves prom dressesNika prom dressesNiki prom dressesPanoply prom dressesParty Time Formals prom dresses Pronovias prom dresses Riva Designs prom dresses Romantic Bridals prom dresses Saison Blanche prom dresses Scala prom dresses Sherri Hill prom dresses Studio 17 prom dresses Terani prom dresses Tiffany prom dresses Val Stefani prom dresses

Joe said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses

Joe said...

Jordan Fashions mother of bride dresses La Belle mother of bride dresses Landa mother of bride dresses Mon Cheri mother of bride dresses Romantic Bridals mother of bride dresses Scala mother of bride dresses Ursula of Switzerland mother of bride dresses Venus Bridal mother of bride dresses A-Line mother of bride dresses Ball Gown mother of bride dresses Column mother of bride dresses Empire mother of bride dresses Mermaid mother of bride dresses Princess mother of bride dresses Sheath mother of bride dresses Trumpet mother of bride dresses Bateau mother of bride dresses Halter mother of bride dresses Jewel mother of bride dresses Off the Shoulder mother of bride dresses One Shoulder mother of bride dresses