3/15/2009

Sunday - Women's History

March is Women's History Month.

March is an opportunity to remember the women who contributed to HISTORY and on a more personal level remember and tell stories about women in our families or women in our lives who have influenced us along the way.

When I was in the 5th grade Sister Mary Michael took our class to the library and introduced us to the Biography section. She told us to pick out a book to read. I remember fingering the books until I pulled out a book with a picture of a young and pretty women standing next to an airplane. Amelia Earhardt. A woman flierI A woman who did something extraordinary. That's the first biography I ever read - and I remember her and ODonoghue School whenever I see her picture.

For a while after that Biography was my favorite section in the library - I read about other women - Marie Curie, Sister Carrie, Florence Nightingale and Alice Paul.
Real women who did something.

Looking back I am grateful to Sister Michael for showing me where to find their stories.


No comments: