10/28/2008

Bits of Color





















3 Beautiful Things

1. When I was telling a program of scary stories this afternoon I watched the kids' eyes widen and their mouths drop open as they followed the stories. Wonderful to see them let themselves into the stories that way. Among other short stories I told The Golden Arm, Jack and the Haunted House and Cat and Mouse. I particularly like telling the Jack Tales. At the end a fourth grade girl raised her hand and asked to tell a story. We still had a bit of time so she could. She did a really nice telling of "The Green Velvet Ribbon." Surprises like this are also part of the joy of these programs.

At the beginning, when I told the students that I was going to tell scary stories one girl, a fourth grader, jumped up. "Are they real.?" I could tell she was frightened. "No," I said - "they are stories." Then she sat down and I watched her relax and enjoy all the stories. And I tabled several true stories I had planned to tell. That's the trick isn't it? Watch out for the audience.

And its not just young audiences. There is a woman who lives at a retirement home where I tell regularly who reminds me often, "tell me if it is going to be scary." And I do. Sometimes she leaves and some times she stays. She choses.

2. Taking time to play with photos. Even when I should be doing something else.

3. Just look at these PA White Lady peaches from this summer. Beautiful color and I remember - they tasted so sweet and delicious.

1 comment:

Granny Sue said...

You know it, Ellouise. When one person in the audience is frightened of a story, therre is no fun in telling it. Keeping a mental storybag of suitable replacements is one of the most sensible things a storyteller can do.