5/12/2009

Congratulations Graduate






Ashton Ayers
May 9 , 2009
Graduation
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC


Congratulations, Ashton!
Good job!



Ashton and her mother, my sister, Dena.
You can't see her but I am sure that Mama is hovering somewhere in the background enjoying the whole thing and feeling so proud. She often told me, "I just want to live to see Ashton graduate from State." Well, she missed the ceremony but I am sure she was looking on - especially on Mother's day week-end.
Dena is the youngest of mama's five children, "Mama's baby." She was a big surprise to everyone. How's this for being scooped? I was living in Brooklyn in the days when you wrote letters to share important news. I wrote home to tell Mama that I was expecting - our second child. (The baby that became Karen) Mama sent me back a Hallmark card with a big green frog on the front - the message inside in dark green letters - "GUESS WHAT THE FROG TOLD ME?" (I think I still have that card.)
Mama was really delighted when Ashton chose State. NC State is connected to Mama's family history. Her daddy, Gus Keasler, graduated from NC State in the early 1900s. But it would not have mattered where Ashton went, Mama would have been proud! And telling everybody about it.
Pardon me while I stop to gather a bit of family history.
Let's add State to the grand-kid college list:
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, Jim Schoettler
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, Karen Schoettler
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Robin Schoettler Fox
University of Georgia ( x 3)Jay, McGill, Patick McGill, Shawn Smith
Georgetown University Law School, Washington, DC, Jim Schoettler
? Medical School
Brenau University, Gainesville, GA, Emily McGill Bliss
Kennesaw State Univ., Kennesaw. GA, Laura McGil, Burton
I know I am missing several others. Hoping they will write and add to the list.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Brenau University, Gainesville GA

Kennesaw State University, Kennesaw, GA


(The McGill girls!)