1/23/2009

storytelling it is, A Keeper

My friend Claudia ia a keeper, too. Her archivist tendencies are strong. Like me she never throws anything away. And, I am really glad! Grateful!

Yesterday Claudia stopped by. "I found this in a box of papers and I want you to have it." She handed me a folded yellowed paper. " Wait til you read it. You say, "I want to be a storyteller" - and look at you - you did it."

I unfolded the sheet of paper covered with early computer printer typescript. She had printed out and kept an email I wrote to her on January 30, 1996 from Jim's old Compuserve email address.

The important papragraph: " ALSO - I hope I told you how much we enjoyed the Storytellers Theatre event with the woman using her life as the stry. I would never have known about it if you had not sent me the flier. She was terrific.

I want to be a storyteller - it has everything for me, talking, family history, some dramatics, and performing. IN a way, I have actually started in that direction already - with the genealogy entertainment.


"Claudia, it was you - you sent me there. You are the deus ex-machina"

The woman I saw that night was storyteller, Milbre Burch.

When I sat next to her at the storytellers dinner at the Williamsburg Storytelling Festival last September I told her about that evening and how she had inspired me. I think she thought I was a bit dotty - but it meant a lot to me to tell her. Afterall her performance opened my eyes to possibilities and set me on a new path.

But it seems now - that the more important thank you goes to Claudia who gave me the key for the door.

Let's tell this story right.

3 comments:

Joe said...

bridal gowns beach wedding dresses couture wedding dresses destination wedding dresses informal wedding dresses bridesmaid dresses mother of bride dresses cocktail wedding dresses evening gowns quinceanera dresses wedding dress wedding dresses wholesale wedding dresses cheap wedding dresses bridal online shop

Joe said...

Jordan Fashions mother of bride dresses La Belle mother of bride dresses Landa mother of bride dresses Mon Cheri mother of bride dresses Romantic Bridals mother of bride dresses Scala mother of bride dresses Ursula of Switzerland mother of bride dresses Venus Bridal mother of bride dresses A-Line mother of bride dresses Ball Gown mother of bride dresses Column mother of bride dresses Empire mother of bride dresses Mermaid mother of bride dresses Princess mother of bride dresses Sheath mother of bride dresses Trumpet mother of bride dresses Bateau mother of bride dresses Halter mother of bride dresses Jewel mother of bride dresses Off the Shoulder mother of bride dresses One Shoulder mother of bride dresses

Joe said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses