4/25/2014

Three at a Blow! T is for Telling, U is for Understanding and V is for Versimilitude










T is for TELLING

I call myself a storyteller and telling stories is what I do.
Actually I have always told stories without even knowing I was a storyteller.


My family told stories about today and yesterday - about those that were here and those that were gone. I learned my family history that way - and I hope I am passing on my family stories the same way  - and I hope my telling family stories prompts other people to tell their stories.

Stories are our LEGACY.

U is for UNDERSTANDING

Here is a lesson I have learned again recently. Before I say I understand I have to be clear on what it is I am supposed to understand.   No use reacting to something when you did not understand what you were supposed to understand and you are coming at it all wrong.
Just saying.


Jim always asked me when I brought something to his attention - whether is was between us or between me and anyone else in the world, " Why didn't you ask first?"

Good Question.

Do you ask?

It saves  a lot of time, angst and in some cases - money.

During my recent home re-freshing project I have learned that it is a good idea to see the cost in black and white on a piece of paper before rushing ahead...... and that impulses add money to the bottom line. Not that I regret a single penny or thing that has been done here  - - it all looks wonderful - but without Jim standing by to remind me -

"Did you ask all the questions?"

Hmmmmm.

Just saying - learning to live a new life after a major change has many lessons.
 



V is for VERISIMILITUDE











Isn't this a great word?

One of the my painting professors when I was an MFA graduate student at American University was the first person I every heard sprinkle the word "verisimilitude" like salt his teachings and his conversations.

He believed in the "appearance of truth" in a painting - not to look like something real  - but to reflect the truth of what was in the painting - whether realistic or abstract.

Storytellers don't necessarily talk about their stories as having "truth" or "verisimilitude" but you often hear talk about the importance of the "details" to get the story across or to bring a story to life.

I find it a sort-of connection between the crafts of making stories and painting.
 

How about the truth in making a life versus the versisimilitude of a life - you know the making it look like it is real?

Hmm? 

Good question?

I guess I am telling you that I do not understand how to create a new versimilitude for my life yet.

Not ready to turn that into questions either - because I want to develop my own plan.

1 comment:

Joy V. Smith said...

I love verisimilitude; it's a great word and essential for writing a story unless you're writing a funny story.