1/14/2013

Ken Burns Equation for Story

Fourteen years ago I attended a long workshop with Donald Davis in Killington, VT. Since then I make sure I work with him at least once a year not just for what he has to say about my stories but for insights and wisdom about story - - and about life. Donald was in top form this last week-end during his workshop in Maryland with nine tellers who were all working on challenging complicated stories. His insights and feedback led discussions that spurred the tellers forward as they ready their stories for performance. But over time I have learned that all the gold is not just in the direct teaching or discussions. I listen for the "pearls" Donald often drops in story sessions and with the storytellers at the lunch table. This week-end he mentioned Ken Burns and his You Tube clip "on Story". Later I watched the clip not once but twice on my iPad. See what you think.

No comments: