11/11/2009

Wednesday - Veterans Day and Memories

Last year on Veterans Day I posted a Roll Call of the members of our family who have served in the military. I thank them again.

Today a few things have come together that have me thinking about some story-weaving.

In August we visited the National Museum of Medicine where we saw RESOLVED - - a fascinating exhibit about medical forensics and the process of recovering lost military personnel.

Today I happened on a blog that told a story about the recent finding of a pilot who has been missing since his WWII plane was shot down January 1944. The plane went down in China - "flying over the HUMP." a very treacherous flight pattern.

The connection:

During WWII my father served in the US Army Air Corps. He was stationed at n air base in India -(now Pakistan ) which was the last fuel and repair stop for US planes flying the HUMP. He was a Sgt and a Crew Chief. He worked on those planes. He would still have been there January 1944 when that plane went down.

I remember Daddy talking about those planes and THE HUMP. But not the stories. And I cannot call him.

Damn!

Isn't that part of the story? There are letters. And a few pictures. The search is on.

No comments: