11/29/2009

Do you have an award winner?

Ever give a George Bailey Award? Well its a long-time tradition for Travelin Oma's family. She has written a beautiful post about her family's tradition and tossed out a challenge to think of someone in your life you would want to honor.

My aunt Katherine, Koki, my Dad'd sister, immediately comes to my mind. She was a loving and caring woman who was my aunt and my dear friend. She was the family historian - keeping the stories alive. She also kept track of the members of the family as they scattered across the country.
And, she was a beacon that drew the whole family back together for several major reunions.

Koki was a creative woman - sewing, cooking, writing and performing. She was creative in the ways she reached out to help people. When I started genealogy research she was my main-stay, encouraging me on, telling me stories and sharing pictures. When I started telling stories she added tales and details to help me make the stories of the family. She called just to chat and when I called her she made me feel so special and loved - "you have made my day."

Koki was not predictable. That's one of the things I loved about her.
I still have the envelopes stuffed with clippings from the Charlotte, NC Observer she sent. They came without fanfare or warning. Sharing the things she thought I would be interested in - bits of local history, current doin's and human interest articles.

Out of the blue she sent me things - photos of me when I was a child that she had taken, a handmade skirt for our Christmas tree, a crocheted cape, recipes.

And she gave me the quilt of squares I sleep under today - Jim and me warmed by her love of life, joy in people and caring for family.

Oh, yes, she would get my George Bailey Award.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

That's a nice post, I'm always on the lookout for people writing about George Bailey or the movie. I just read recently about people giving 'George Bailey' awards... what a great idea. I wrote a song called George Bailey, would love for you to take a listen via my website below or watch the you tube video. Feel free to pass it on to Oma!

Happy holidays,
Carolyn Sills
http://www.carolynsills.com/Original_Music.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOQna0DuOfU

Joe said...

Raylia Designs bridesmaid dresses Romantic Bridals bridesmaid dresses Saison Blanche bridesmaid dresses Val Stefani bridesmaid dresses Venus Bridal bridesmaid dresses Watters bridesmaid dresses WTOO bridesmaid dresses A-Line bridesmaid dresses Ball Gown bridesmaid dresses Column bridesmaid dresses Empire bridesmaid dresses Mermaid bridesmaid dresses Princess bridesmaid dresses Sheath bridesmaid dresses Trumpet bridesmaid dresses Bateau bridesmaid dresses

Joe said...

bridal online shop bridal gowns wholesale wedding dresses high quality bridal gowns wholesale custom wedding dresses wedding apparel wedding dresses top sellers wedding dresses2010 new arrivals 2010 new arrivals wedding dresses beach wedding dresses Luxury Wedding Dresses plus size wedding dresses wedding party dresses bridesmaid dresses junior bridesmaid dresses flower girl dresses mother of bride dresses wedding shoes wedding bags wedding accessories evening dresses prom dresses cocktail dresses quinceanera dresses little black dresses

Joe said...

Pattis Bridal bridal gowns Private Label by G bridal gowns Pronovias bridal gowns Raylia Designs bridal gowns Romantic Bridals bridal gownsStrapless bridal gowns Straps bridal gowns Sweetheart bridal gowns V-Neck bridal gowns Short bridal gowns Knee Length bridal gowns Tea Length bridal gowns Ankle Length bridal gowns Floor Length bridal gowns Sweep Train bridal gowns JLM Couture bridesmaid dresses Jordan Fashions bridesmaid dresses Landa bridesmaid dresses Liz Fields bridesmaid dresses Mackenzie Michaels bridesmaid dresses Mia Solano bridesmaid dresses Mon Cheri bridesmaid dresses Moonlight bridesmaid dresses Mori Lee bridesmaid dresses Pretty Maids bridesmaid dresses