9/26/2009

Saturday - Magical Montgomery, Storytelling, and local veggies






Magical Montgomery, a street fair for the arts in Montgomery County brought crowds to Silver Spring, MD.

It was cloudy and rain was eminent but that did not dampen the enthusiasm of the kids, and folks of all other ages who enjoyed music, dancing in the streets, and booths featuring arts organizations and activies through out Montgomery County, MD. I was glad to be one of the featured performers- telling a couple Jack Tales and nature stories.


I am enjoying a new-to-me old NC Jack Tale - The Talking Mule - which I have recently started telling. Is it my imagination that Daddy might have told that story years ago - maybe its just that the story sounds like one he would have loved

The The Puppet Company was fun to watch - - the music ensembles which followed - acts that I don't usually have a chance to see.

Two middle-aged men who had been standing at the back stopped me. "We loved your stories. The highlight off the day." One man added: " I have not heard storytelling since I was in school." I handed him a card - "then you are going to love storytelling for grown-ups. Check my website. I list local storytelling events. Please come."

Yep. It was worth it to take storytelling to the streets.

And it did start to rain - just as Jim and I headed home.





Jim braved the rain at a vegetable stand near our house to pick up locally grown corn and tomatoes. Can't pass those up.

No comments: