9/03/2009

Multi-tasking






Looking forward to a few days in the country this week-end.



Our dog Leia loves it best. She hops out of the car and with a burst of energy joyously races from one boundary of the yard to another checking her territory. Leaving Jim and me hefting the bags into the house. Even though we have our stuff there we rarely manage to go up carrying only a toothbrush.



My burdens are electronic. Computer, iPod, camera, chargers and cords. Can't be without the toys.

This week-end I am also packing several boxes of fabric and a stack of old jeans I have been collecting from thrift shops. I am determined to start the quilt I have been thinking about for weeks. In my fantasy cutting and stacking squares will be the perfect job to go along with the work of preparing two story programs which are ahead later this month.

Actually they are only three weeks away. I am counting those days and hours now.


Multi-tasking. Makes me feel so productive. But the tasks have to work together. Quiet cutting as I listen to my stories on my iPod seems to me to be a perfect combination. We will see.



On the Road & Storytelling Report



Last night was the first evening of my fourth season producing monthly storytellings at Kensington Row Bookshop in Kensington, MD. Julene Cupp, Holly Range and I told stories to a full house in Kensington last night. Being with them felt so good to me. We were part of a group - could it really be eight years ago - and told together frequently. Holly and Julene had new stories drawn from life - well-crafted and well-told. Good examples of how you take ordinary life and turn it into story. Julene turned her recent yard sale into a charming story of memories, daily experience and sales that is a how-to on setting up a yard sale. Holly used a memory with her mother to transport her listeners into a magical place of myth and folktale. I told a familiar tale as a test - yes, this one is right for Exchange Place October 2.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Hope you have a wonderful time in the country! Aren't dogs the best? They're always in such a wonderful mood.

I've always admired quilting (the storytelling aspect of it is fascinating to me). But I don't sew. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder