7/12/2008

Taking a Break






This time two years ago Jim and I were in Ireland on an Elderhostel trip. In fact I celebrated a very significant birthday on that journey.

And one of those - birthdays not trips - looms ahead in a few days.

But for now - I am not thinking about it.

For several days I have posted pictures with poems - because I wanted to play with the cinquain poem structure. And I thought surely everyone was bored silly hearing about my knee - which is what is foremost on my mind. But, several folks have written and asked, "how's the knee?" " are you all right, you're not writing much."

So - knee update. Bah! The doctor injected the knee ten days ago. That helped. I walked well for about a week - then, things began to slip back. I am hobbling slowly up steps and sometimes think I will pull out the walker again. I see the doctor again next week. So all is not well.

This week I tell stories a few times and for the Saturday evening performance at the Starrytelling Festival. I just want to stay on my feet for those.

Three Beautiful Things:
1. Several lovely conversations with my mother - her voice is strong, and its fun to talk with her.
2. My "from scratch" cornbread today tasted pretty good - especially considering I have not made such in about twenty years. I am enjoying rediscovering cooking.
3. Knitting - enjoying holding the rich colors of a varigated soft chenille yarn as I knit a long scarf on the horizontal. Ihave the 220 stitches on a circular needle. Going around one row gives me a comfortable break.

1 comment:

Kate Dudding said...

Dear Ellouise,

I'm sending you thoughts of healing and strength. I'm sending your doctor thoughts of wisdom AND fixing you up ASAP!

Hugs,
Kate