7/19/2008

Starting my Egypt research

A few months ago I saw a book, Murder in the Place of Anubis, on a library sale table. I am attracted to all things Eqyptian so I plinked down my 5o cents, brought it home and put it in a stack of books "waiting". Noticed it again last week and now its the first of my reading before we make our trip to Egypt.

There are several unsettling things about this book.

First, the previous owner underlined words in different colors - not sentences, mind you, words. I cannot figure out "why" yet. Were they too planning a trip to Egypt or were they jogging their memory on things they had known or needed to know? Their reason is still theirs.

Second, a detective story set in the time of King Tut just doesn't feel right. The crime makes sense - they did those murders then too - but having a special ops priest in the Pharoah's court seems a bit of a stretch. What do you think.

Come to find out this book is one of a series - all with the same priestly detective - hmmm. No, I don't think so. As soon as I find out who the killer is - I am moving on.

Unless - I find another one of these with words underlined in colors - then I would have to continue my own pursuit of a solution for a mystery.

2 comments:

Granny Sue said...

good review, Ellouise. I checked out a book to read while I'm off, and I'm so disappointed--I don't have any interest in CA or Hollywood! So disappointing. I was looking forward to a light read, too.

ELLOUISESTORY said...

Hi, Granny Sue - Oops. What a let down - when you really are ready to escape into a book -