12/01/2008

Moon and Stars and Williamsburg Wreaths















Did you see it?

I came in the living room to close the blinds and there it was - the moon and planets phenomena
I called Jim. "Wow." We stood admiring the three in the sky then he asked, " did you get the camera."
I ran upstairs. Used the larger lens Sony camera. It was worth a try. This is a pale copy of what we saw. The real thing was gorgeous - a slice of the glowing moon in the midnight blue sky with crisp brilliant "stars" near-by. Won't happen again until 2052.
A lovely way to start Advent on the first of December.




















Three years ago Jim and I spent a week at Williamsburg, Virginia with our family to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. It was a great time.

For the Christams holidays Colonial Williamsburg is decked out with beautiful natural greens - no tinsel or plastic. I focused on photographing the wreaths and window decorations.

For December I will illustrate the blog everytday with one of my photos of Williamsburg Christmas wreaths - to mark the days of Advent and to remember a very happy time. Hope you enjoy them. ( click the picture to enlarge the photo for a closer look)

About the wreath:
This welcoming wreath is made of an interesting combination of pineapples and pomegranates, pine cones, magnolia leaves and other plants.

Can anyone identify the redberries and yellow plant?

The pineapple is a traditional symbol of hospitality and has a very interesting history.
The pomegranate had been a symbol in religious traditions from the times of Greek myth and the image features in both Jewish and Christians symbolism.
The Madonna with the Pomegranate by Italian artist Sandro Botticelli (detail)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful wreath! I visited Williamsburg in January one year. I missed the lovely Christmas decorations, but it was wonderfully uncrowded and the docents had plenty of time to explain things. I'd like to go back sometime. . .

Robin S. Fox, Social Media Coach said...

Love your idea of sharing the wreaths. Of course, I have the added benefit of the memories of that trip, brought back by this wreath... and the knowledge that each day between now and Christmas another wreath will remind me again.

Love,
R

Anonymous said...

Clouds parted long enough to see the moon, Venus and Jupiter last night, a beautiful sight. (I know which they were only because the Post said so).
I went from "my" library to my condo (to put a Christmas wreath on the door -- maybe it will help sell it), to my sister's library for Stitch-In, to visit while knitting a Warm Up America square.