1/26/2007

Shades of the Plaza Theater

I have to admit it. I have watched The Mummy 20 times, maybe more, since my Christmas when I bought the dvd.

Do you think I am obsessed with this movie?

My daughter accuses me of having a crush on Brendan Fraser. Well, he is a hunk of a hero and, at first her accusation embarrassed me - -
but, no, its not that.

I have continued to watch the film and I have figured out my fascination.

I have not been so caught up by a movie since Star Wars (episodes 4,5, and 6 - NOT these three latest digital graphic awfuls) was reissued ten years ago. Then Han Solo captured my imagination - not Harrison Ford - Han Solo.

In my opinion there are plenty of connections between The Mummy and Star Wars - both are fast moving adventures using the George Lucas style of storytelling. Watch for the visual footnotes The Mummy has to Star Wars - as well as references to other movies, especially Indiana Jones.

The music is compelling and propels the story.

In The Mummy the lure of my favorite period in history, Ancient Egypt, makes it doubly hard to resist.

But I realize that beyond all this is something more personal. My memories of the Plaza Theater on a Saturday morning are the attraction. They keep me coming back to revisit The Mummy - again and again and again and again.

I watch it - to once again to see a handsome hero rescue a damsel in distress and save the world.

Nothing wrong with that!

What's not to like?

I will keep watching until I find another film that also satisfies me with such pure enjoyment.