4/29/2021

FINDING MORE ON A MEMORY




 


Finding More on a Memory
Last week I called the Carolina Room at the Main Library in Charlotte, NC where I always ask for research help and they were wonderful again. I came away with unexpected family history. From a 1937 city-information-book they found my maternal grandmother's Seventh Street address- along with her professional occupation - Manager of a Department at Montaldo's elegant women's clothing shop. I remember how she loved it there - and especially she loved packing for her yearly train trips to New York to select fine merchandise for the year. When I went to Montaldos to meet her I loved being drenched with wonderful perfume as I walked through the Tyron Street elegant entry. I remember the afternoon I stopped by to talk about the formal dress I needed . For Granny the reasonable solution was for her to help me try-on something beautiful --- that was perfect for me - to wear to the Junior/Senior dance at Central High School. Today was an afternoon filled with sweet memories.

  • I was surprised to find this pair of photos shown together, The photo on the left was taken by my husband in my "at home"art studio.. I am not sure of the absolute date but think it was probably in the mid 1980s, when I had completed my ERA job and had more time to work in the studio. The picture on the right was taken at American University when I performed my Pushing Boundaries feminist story. All these personal finds help me getting my story together.

    When people responded I added their comments to their comments:
    8



    • Like
    • Reply
    • 1d
    • Edited
  • I remember the story you told of my Kilgore cousin that was, I think, a principal at one of the school's you attended in Charlotte at the luncheon we had at 1st Pres while you were at Stone Soup. I was sitting at the table with 3 of my cousins. We were blown away. You had walked around the church and noticed the Kilgore legacy within our church and added that story to your performance.
    • Like
    • Reply
    • 1d


4 comments:

trybestthing said...

I really thanked to you that you given that much information for us. iam waiting for you next post.


i repair
i-repair

Unknown said...

A1QMS's Quality Management System holistic, collaborative, and structured approach
provides bespoke management solutions. and continuous support for your organisation's
needs to realise and its implementation efficiently and effectively.


Quality Management System
implementation support

Unknown said...

MaxiMove LTD are a family run removal company offering home removals and same-day collection and delivery services at a competitive price. It's our goal to listen to our customers and put their requirements first and to provide you with an efficient, reliable and personalised service ensuring your moving day runs smoothly.
Removals and storage Bootle
Removals and storage Southpor

David James said...

Apna Showroom Thick Rubber hair bands for women (Cotton wool ExtraSoft Ponytail holder 12 Piece
yeah i am best husband and father and professional ..
Fancy Apna Showroom Plastic Tic Tac Hair Clips for Women (Multicolour) -24 Pieces
you are right v