8/02/2019

In Brooklyn New York


 Twenty years ago Jim and I went to Vermont on a bit of vacation where I was also attending my first week long workshop taught by premier storyteller Donald Davis. 
That was the first time I heard Donald ask workshop participants to "take us somewhere we can't go if you don't take us." I have never forgotten that assignment and often use it when I am working on a personal story or just time traveling. 

I have been time-traveling a lot lately. Going back and forth to Brooklyn, NY.  In1957 Jim and I lived there while he was an intern at Kings County Hospital. And Karen, our second child was born there.

I even started writing a memoir journal about that period. I have been surprised by how many details I recall and how vivid the images are. Perhaps some of that is due to my reading and working with the exercises in Marilu Henner's book, Total Memory Makeover.  Things I had not thought about in years surfaced. For instance: Early in his internship one of Jim's patients, a Choctaw Chief, was so grateful for the care Jim had given him that he asked Jim to become his "blood brother". 
They had a small ceremony at the Chief's bedside. 
Jim asked me to bring our son to the ward so he could introduce Jimmy to Chief Two Bears.

Everyone was taken with Jimmy who was a very friendly child with a big smile and a deep laugh. The Ward Secretary, an older woman, came up to Jim who was holding Jimmy. She patted Jimmy's hands and told Jim, 

"Doctor Schoettler you make good babies." 
Jim smiled big and laughed deeply.

1 comment:

Storyteller Mary said...

Lovely memories. <3