3/10/2012

Tales from Leo: More on Winding Up








Hello - Leo here. Just wanted to tell you how things are going. People have asked to post information about when Jim's funeral will be -- so instead of my writing it all out I am using parts of an email Ellouise wrote to her family this afternoon.




"We have just finalized the arrangements for Jim’s funeral, and I wanted to let you know what we are planning.  
We will be holding a funeral mass followed by a simple reception on Saturday, March 24th at 11 am at our parish,church, the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, in Chevy Chase (http://www.blessedsacramentdc.org/).      At the end of the mass before the reception there will be a short opportunity for sharing remembrances.  

The death notice will be published in the Washington Post the week of the funeral. 

It will be several months until Jim’s ashes can be interred at Arlington National Cemetery where he will have a full military honors ceremony.
As you can imagine, this is a very difficult time for our family. We knew that Jim's cancer was winning this battle but we never expected he would go so quickly -- within only 2 weeks of coming home from the hospital. We are very grateful that we could care for him so that  he could pass away in his own home, which is what he so wanted.  
  
Jim and I appreciated all your prayers and well wishes throughout his illness, and we hope you will continue to pray for him.
 
Love,
Ellouise"

If you are wondering how Ellouise is getting along, I can tell you she has good times and sad times. Her tribe has gathered around her and that helps tremendously and she will be forever grateful for their watching out for her - as well as for all the sweet kindnesses of many people.

She is focused on home and her family but I heard her tell a friend, "I think storytelling may save me later ---- that's what Jim wanted."

2 comments:

Debbie Couture said...

Beautiful Ellouise. Jim was a lucky man to have you and you him. I'll will keep praying for Jim's soul. I'm praying for you too. So glad you have family and friends surrounding you. Take care.

Granny Sue said...

See you next weekend, then, my friend.