3/04/2011

Video Adventure in Fresno




This 1920s California style bunglow is the unexpected location for the Central Valley Talk Radio broadcasting station. When I walked onto the porch I wondered what I was in for. Well, behind that unassuming front door - - a first rate tv operation for the internet. And I learned something about a different way of filming and broadcasting video than the more commercial Channel 16 I am used to.
 
This afternoon I was a guest on Chuck Leonard's show, Central Valley Buzz - which was featuring Rogue performers. I had no idea what to expect - or maybe I thought it would be a bit like my interview show - a rather conventional question and answer slot - with a chance to promote Pushing Boundaries.


Well - as soon as I met Chuck I knew there would be nothing conventional about this adventure.



Chuck bounced into the back-yard garage studio behind the 1920s bungalow - energetic, cracking jokes, and verbally sparring with those of us waiting to go before the camera with him. His hat - a trademark I imagine, lends an impish touch to his persona. I liked him - but I was a bit nervous - not knowing how a conversation about the Equal Rights Amendment would go - and bantering on camera is not in my comfort zone.

Fortunately I was not the first interview in the line-up. His first guest is a veteran guest of the program. She is also a film writer and director who could hold her own in exchanges with Chuck and as I enjoyed their friendly sparring I thought - "just go with the flow and throw out a few questions of your own - you can do this."



And I could.  By the time we had been on camera a few minutes I

began to have fun. That makes all the difference. Once I relaxed we could have a conversation - 
It also helped that I am comfortable before the camera - after five years of talking into one at Channel 16 in Kensington. And I have a hunch that this role-switch from interviewer to being interviewed will help me improve my own game with the Stories in Focus interviews.



Then came the surprise. Performer Lynn Ruth Miller called in. I met Lynn Ruth at the Rogue three years ago - found her funny and delightful - a woman in her 70s making a good career as a stand-up comedian and storyteller. We keep in touch. 

She did not call in to talk with me. She did not know I was on the show. She was making the call to keep her name out there until she gets into town Saturday. This woman knows how to market her shows and she does a good job of it.
But - we were happy for the "call-in meet up" and surprised Chuck that we knew each other and could banter ourselves. No contest really - Lynn Ruth is funny and I ended up doing more laughing than talking. But that was OK. It fit the show format.

I never did get to "push" Pushing Boundaries - but thaht's OK. I had given the tech-guy a PDF of the poster and I knew he would add it to 
the show.
I decided being part of an entertaining show was a good thing - and I was having a good time. Hopefully anyone who sees the program will like me enough to come to my show.


 There are some TIPS here:
1. Go with the flow - let the Host manage the show. Be a good guest.
2. Be grateful for an unexpected surprise - like Lynn Ruth's call - it could make a more interesting interview.
3. Always bring a video clip, slide, or some other visual that they can add to your interview
I was fortunate - because I was also going to have some printing done - I had a flash drive with show graphics on it . You can bet I will always have one with me from now on.
4. Follow Lynn Ruth Miller's example - promote your shows.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your interview was a success. It sounds like a blast! I like the advice tips, too. What a fun experience and thx for sharing.

~Sandra D.

Anonymous said...

So glad your interview was a success. It sounds like a blast! I like the advice tips, too. What a fun experience and thx for sharing.

~Sandra D.

John kerry said...

tale of this weblog is properly written. the author kept in consideration the grammar very well. stage of English also very well. Lot many new phrases has been used while writing content material of this weblog. Professional Photographer kilkenny