2/23/2007

Discovering INKHEART

Am I the last one to find out about INKHEART?

It is a bestseller in Europe and this country. It is the first volume of a trilogy. The author, Cornelia Funke, is considered the German J.K. Rowling.

And how did I find out about it?

By checking on when Mummy 3 is going to be made and if Brendan Fraser - yes, yes, back to that- is going to reprise the role of Rick O'Connell.
(The answer to that is yes.)

In that surfing search I learned that Brendan Fraser is right now filming in INKHEART.
INKHEART? What's that about - tatoos, what?

I wasn't nudged to find out more until I was sitting in a doctor's office, reading an article about that queenly woman Helen Mirren - who is also right now shooting INKHEART.

That sent me looking for more information and I bumped right into this wonderful author, Funke, a woman who has imagined a world where words, books, stories - imagination - are the central focus. The heroine is a twelve year old girl whose father, a book-binder named Silvertongue - played by none other than you know who - brings characters to life when he reads books out loud. Helen Mirren plays her aunt. What a family!

Barnes and Noble has it in the children's section but the Public Library has it in Young Adult Fiction. I don't care where they shelve it - I cannot put the book down.

I checked it out of the library but then I had to buy it. I am underlining metaphors, and phrases.

I like this world.

I am looking forward to the movie.

Would you believe that Cornelia Funke dedicated the second volume of the Trilogy, INKSPELL, to Brendan Fraser?

Doesn't surprise me one bit.

No comments: